Sunday 17 June 2007

The Mighty Thunder God

The Norse God of Thunder has always been one of my favourite Marvel Heroes & I've been wanting to get a cool Thor statue for a while. When I saw Bowen Designs' third full size statue release of the Mighty Thor, I knew that's THE ONE! What I love about this piece is the whole look, simple yet powerful. The first BD Thor statue was in a "action" type pose & the second statue was exactly the same, with the inclusion of interchangeable heads (commonly referred to as the "change-o-head" version), which made me prefer the simple look of the new one. Sky high prices of the earlier statues also left me with little choice. :P All 3 Thor statues were sculpted by the man himself, Randy Bowen.
























Comparison shots with the Mad Titan, (Bowen Designs) Thanos:





9 comments:

Shaun said...

amazing statue collection and great photos, dude! thanks for sharing. :)

Sideswipe said...

Thanks for the compliments! I'm just starting out on statues. It sure is a expensive hobby as compared to when I was collecting action figures, but it is more satisfying when displayed. =) So I guess my collection now emphasizes more on quality than quantity. heh... :P

Shaun said...

I can never buy statues cos I want my figures to be articulated. :lol:
Also, no budget for them lah.

Agree that quality is more important than quantity, cos space always runs out!

hey sideswipe, would really like to see your display shelves, must be really cool when you put all the your stuff together. Do share pix if you have some ;)

Sideswipe said...

I also like articulations, which is why I'm going in 2 directions for most of my purchases. Statues for comic characters, 12" figures for movie ones. I'll go into my reasons another time ;)

And I'll try to post some photos when I've finish setting up my display area. Need to get some ideas for display shelves or cabinets, I don't really want to go the common Ikea Detolf way. Most of my stuff are scattered all over my room at the moment. lol

Unknown said...

Oohh! very nice Thor statue. Have been tempted to start collecting statues but like you said, its a expensive hobby compared to collecting action figures. Of course the sculpting is a 100 times better than action figures.

I think having stuff scattered all over our rooms is a common sight for most collectors especially when we start running out of space.

Sideswipe said...

Ha ha... That is so true, especially for statue collectors. You need space not only for displaying the statues, but to keep the huge boxes too.

Unknown said...

I have a few statues too and I am so tempted to throw away the boxes as I don't think I will sell them away. Is there any other use for the box?

Sideswipe said...

I sincerely advise against throwing away your statue boxes. The styrofoam inserts are the best protection for your statues if you ever want to move or store them away.

Unknown said...

Ok. Thanks for the advice. Sigh... no chance of creating more space...