Sunday 15 July 2007

Dynamic Duo

I've always loved the Spidey movies & wanted to get a cool movie Spider-Man statue to add to my collection. When Sideshow announced they will be releasing products from Spider-Man 3, my prayers were answered... or so I thought. Pictures of the Venom statue were released first, I find the sculpt to be quite good, especially with the grid texture faithfully intact. Price & pose were a little turn off for me though. But when the Spider-Man statues (red/blue & black) were revealed, I knew these will not be part of my collection for sure. The scale of the Spideys were smaller than Venom, thus can't be displayed nicely together. They didn't retain the excellent grid texture of Venom as well, probably because they were done by another sculptor. There's a versus diorama as well, but I really wasn't digging that. Just as I thought I could save my money for other stuff, I caught sight of these busts. 4 factors instantly drew me into ordering them: 1. Totally awesome sculpt by Martin Canale (who also did the Venom Statue); 2. Grid texture, check!; 3. Affordable prices for their size. They are bigger than regular Bowen busts, but cheaper; 4. The black-suited Spider-Man bust will be a SDCC exclusive. Even though I don't really collect busts anymore, I just couldn't pass these up. I thought they will look kick-ass displayed with my Spider-Man 3 RAH figures! Enough talk, here's the photos:

Spider-Man












The best part about this bust is how the silver webbings catches the light. The effect is very similar to the movie.




Venom












I simply love the translucent parts at the side of Venom's mouth!
















These 2 are definitely worth the wait! I also got some cool edition numbers for my busts, 899 for Spidey & 799 for Venom. Sweeeet!

No comments: